|Orcas Island ~ San Juan Islands 2011|
The kitchen tends to be a focal point where family and friends gather. Ever wonder why? Simple, the kitchen is the stomach and the stomach likes to be fed. The kitchen also represents the family's wealth, health and prosperity so it should be treated with utmost reverence.
There are many simple things you can do to create a successful feng shui kitchen. But before doing anything make sure you clear out any clutter. Yes, that means the refrigerator, pantry, cabinets and drawers. Get rid of any broken utensils, pots, dishes, tupperware and food that is no longer identifiable.
Design & More:
1. Incorporate as many natural elements as possible. Real wood, granite, slate and bamboo are just a few examples.
2. Make sure there is healthy symbolism depicted in artwork, plaques or bowls. Fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs speak volumes when it comes to healthy imagery.
3. The stove/cook-top should be positioned so the chef has command of the space.
4. During the design process avoid placing sink and refrigeration along side the cook-top. The water and fire elements will clash and upset the delicate balance between these elements.
5. Avoid placing the cook-top in front of a window as it reduces the airiness and openness of the design.
6. Avoid placing too much furniture in this space. Open up the room by moving out pieces you don't absolutely need.
7. Optimize light and color. These are important dynamics when it comes to the development of a healthy kitchen. You should always have plenty of overhead lighting in your cooking and eating areas, and it is best if this is full spectrum lighting.
8. Do a quick meditation before you start to prepare food. There is nothing like good energy being passed into the food for you and family to ingest.
9. Create a sensory experience in the kitchen with soft cushions for chairs, a tablecloth and soothing sounds of either a water fountain in a nearby room or classical music in the background.
10. Remember family in this space by grouping a few photos together in the eastern quadrant of the kitchen. You can also place a recipe box filled with old family cooking secrets and store it in the same direction.
So there you have it. Ten simple feng shui kitchen tips to make your dining experience a peaceful one. Don't forget to give thanks for every meal you make and enjoy with family and friends.
Mary Jane Kasliner - Feng Shui Master & Yoga Teacher
Body Space Alignment