Simple Ways to Go Green
There are so many things you can do to pitch in and save the planet while saving money and becoming healthier. These things are so simple to do yet so many of us still lag behind. Let's take a look at what you can do to make a difference today.
1. Wash your clothing in cold water instead of hot and use an all natural laundry detergent. If you are using hot water to wash your clothing it does cost up to 9 times more per load so think about shifting the water temperature to cold instead.
2. Turn your water heater down to 120 degrees. This is better for your skin and will save up to 10 percent on your electric bill.
3. Use natural cleaning products to clean your home. They smell great, are healthier for you and the planet. You can make your own or purchase all natural cleaners. I recommend Melaleuca's spring cleaning line. The products smell great, are easy to use, and leave your home feeling fresh and clean.
4. Surrender the dishpan and clean your dishes in the dishwasher. Dishwashers use less water and do a better job of cleaning your dishes and glasses.
5. If your looking to purchase new appliances look for the energy star labels. These certified appliances use 20 to 30 percent less energy and that means savings in your pocket and for the planet.
6. Take some hints from mom and hang your clothes outside to dry. There is nothing like fresh air scent on your clothing not to mention a savings of 800 pounds of emissions annually.
7.Think about carpooling, biking or walking for your errands or even to work. Your heart will be happier and so will your wallet.
8. If your not a vegetarian at least think about becoming one 1 day per week. Skipping meat is like eliminating 1,000 miles of driving when you factor in all the resources required to produce animal protein. You will also feel much better.
9. Invest in natural materials and decor in your space. Choose real wood over laminates and natural fabrics such as cotton, silk or hemp. These materials not only look great they are healthier for you and your family.
10. Toss the synthetic cosmetics. Ladies, this is a biggie for us. The chemicals that are found in cosmetics and hair products can cause numerous health issues from infertility, early puberty, birth defects, cancer and the list goes on. Not to mention what it does to the environment.
11. Make sure you add several plants inside your home. They will not only look great but they naturally infuse more oxygen into the air while up-taking toxins. Less toxins and more oxygen means fresher air to breathe.
So these are eleven simple things you can do to make a difference in your health and the environment. Some may be easier then others to get use to. Start small with perhaps changing over your cleaning and laundry products, then move towards natural materials in your decor. You will not only feel better but your space will feel better too.
Here's to a healthier home and a healthier you!
Mary Jane Kasliner ~ Feng Shui Master & Yogi