Wednesday, July 8, 2015

What I see When I Walk Through Neighborhoods

What I See When I Walk Through Neighborhoods




I enjoy taking long walks through different neighborhoods to see how others express themselves through their landscape and their home - and of course if there are any great ideas that I may want to borrow for my own home. One of the things I notice immediately is the front door. As soon as my eye travels to it, a plethora of questions rattle inside my mind:

  • How is it positioned?
  • Is it too small or too large?
  • What is the material of the door?
  • What color is it?
  • How is it enhanced?
  • Is it welcoming?
  • How would I change it or would I change it?
  • Do I love it?
Believe it or not, I will go through this list as I pass by every home. Sometimes I crack myself up wondering if anyone else out there ever thinks about these things. Well, I'm pretty sure there are and I am glad about that. 

I find the front door expresses the personality for the home. I actually can sense whether the home feels happy, sad, lonely or neglected. It reminds me of a time when my nephew said; "Houses looks like faces." He hit the nail on the head. From that statement, the artist who did renderings in one of my feng shui books (The Feng Shui Connection to a Healthy Life), drew "house heads" connected to the human body. 

Continuing on my walk, I take note of the rest of the architecture of the home. This is a quick survey:

  • What's the overall feel?
  • Are there too many windows?
  • Are the windows too small or large?
  • What are the shape of the windows?
  • Is there a combination of materials used on the outer structure?
  • What is the main color choice?
  • What is the roof shaped like and material used?
Here, I go for the overall feel of the home. I know immediately if I would feel comfortable living in the structure and for that matter, if most people would feel comfortable. Sometimes, I can actually get a sense of the interior through the outer dynamics.

Finally, the overall landscape presentation - the curbside appeal is what I am specifically after. Does the property look lush and alive with vegetation or does the essence of neglect come immediately to mind. I like to see a few dynamics at work when it comes to the property:

  • Defined boarders
  • Landscape lighting
  • Curved pathways
  • Varying heights in vegetation
  • Assorted plants and colors
  • Movement - bird feeder - flag - water feature
  • Sound qualities - chime - rain catchers
I'm sure this sounds like an arduous walk through the neighborhood but I actually find it very entertaining and refreshing. Covering several miles on my neighborhood walk, I get a twofer, cardio fitness and great ideas for my home. 

If you like to take walks through the neighborhood tell us what you see. 

Best -
Mary Jane 
Feng SHui Master & Yogi


No comments: